Elena KountouraMember of the European Parliament
MEMBER of EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT (2019-2024)
Confederal Group of the European United Left – Nordic Green Left (GUE/NGL)
– Committee on Transport and Tourism (TRAN) – coordinator
– Committee on Women’s Rights and Gender Equality (FEMM)
– Committee on Industry, Research and Energy (ITRE)
– Delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Union for the Mediterranean
– Delegation for relations with the Mashreq countries (DMAS)
– Born in Athens.
– She was for many years member of the Greek National Team of Track and Field.Champion of Greece in High Jumb and 100m Hardles. Holder of numerous national records, as well as national and international titles and awards.
–She gratuated in Science of Physical Education and Sports at the University of Athens.
– She speaks three languages: French, English and Spanish.
1984 to 1996 :
International Career in the Fashion Industry.
1996 to 2003 :
Publisher magazine with women and social issues.
She entered politics in 2004 and has been elected Member of Greek Parliament six times in the First District of Athens.
She was appointed Minister of Tourism of Greece in the government of Alexis Tsipras from Jan 2015 to May 2019.
In the European elections in May 2019 she was elected MEP with the SYRIZA-Progressive Alliance party.
She participated in the following parliamentary committees:
– Public Committee on Production and Trade on Tourism Issues
– Special Standing Committee on Cultural Affairs, on Culture, Education and Sport
– Special Standing Committee on Equality and Human Rights
– Special Standing Committee on the Protection of the Environment
and as Secretary to the Standing Committee on the Follow-up of the Judgments of the European Court of Human Rights.
Since June 2014, she has been a member of the Greek Parliamentary Assembly (PACE) at the Council of Europe as a full member of the Committee on Immigration, Refugees and Displaced Persons and as an alternate member of the Committee on Equality and Non-Discrimination.
She has also served as President of the Greek-Korean Friendship Parliamentary Group and member of the Parliamentary Friendship Groups, with China, France, Romania, Uzbekistan and Jordan.
Elena Kountoura develops strong social and philanthropic activities in Greece and abroad. She is President of the organization «EUROPA DONNA HELLAS«, which deals with the prevention and awareness of breast cancer, and claiming rights to better services for patients with cancer.
She has also been honored for her support in spreading the Greek Paralympic Volunteers , while in December 2007 she was honored by Greek Goverment as a Goodwill Ambassador for Social Volunteering.