Meet our RGC 2023 speakers
President of the Scientific Council, Institute of Local Administration (KEDE)
- President, Scientific Council of Institute of Local Government (ITA) of Central Union of Greek Municipalities (KEDE)
- President, European Movement Greece
- Attorney at Law, Athens Bar Association
- Former Vice–President, Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe (2016-2019).
- Former Mayor of Samos Island (2014-2019).
- Former General Secretary (Governor), Region of Eastern Macedonia and Thrace (2004 – 2007).
- LLB in Law, Law School of the University of Athens, graduated with first class honors’.
- Post-graduate degree in European Law, University of Brussels (Université Libre de Bruxelles)
- Honoris Causa Diploma in International Relations (DIPLOME HONORIS CAUSA-Ecole des Hautes Etudes Internationales), Center for Strategic and Diplomatic Studies, Paris (Centre d’Etudes Diplomatiques et Stratégiques – CEDS).
- Attorney at law, member of the Athens Bar Association since 1981, practicing law in Athens, Greece specializing mainly in European law and cases related to the implementation of the European Convention of Human Rights.
- Chief Legal Advisor, Hellenic Electricity Distribution Network Operator S.A. (DEDDHE). (2013- today) He was appointed, through a public tender procedure.
- Legal Advisor, European Commission’s Representation Office in Athens, Greece (1995-2004).
- Fellow-consultant, European Parliament, (Committees on Legal Affairs, Citizens’ Rights and External Economic Relations) attached to the European People’s Party group. (1986-1989)
- Elected President of the Scientific Council of Institute of Local Government (ITA) of Central Union of Greek Municipalities (KEDE) (Jan. 2020-today)
- 2019 European Parliament elections: Was candidate for the “New Democracy” Party, collecting 89.000 votes.
- Mayor, Samos Island, Greece (September 2014 – May 2019)
- Elected Member, Board and the Executive Committee, Central Union of Greek Municipalities (KEDE) representing 325 municipalities (332 recent reform) in Greece. (2014 – 2019)
- President, Commission on Insularity of KEDE (2014-2019)
- Secretary (Head) of Administrative Reform, Greek Ministry of Interior (2008 – 2009)
- General Secretary (Governor), Greek Region of Eastern Macedonia and Thrace From (2004 -2007).
- Elected President, Balkan & Black Sea Commission, Conference of Peripheral and Maritime Regions of Europe (CPMR) (2004 – 2007)
- Twice, elected Vice-President, Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe. (Oct. 2016 – 2019)
- Elected Vice-president, Monitoring Committee of the Congress (Febr.-Oct. 2016). President, Greek section European Movement International, (the oldest pan-European organisation with national sections in 39 countries).
He was served as the Head of Greek Delegation to the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe (2014-2019).
The Congress of Local and Regional Authorities is one of the political bodies of the Council of Europe. Composed of representatives with an elective mandate in a local or regional authority, the Congress has 612 members representing more than 150.000 local and regional authorities from the 46 member States.
Sign up to our newsletter
Sign up and keep up to date with the latest news & articles of the conference.